OCR – Exit ABBY Finereader, Enter Tesseract


I've used the former for many years, and in many ways it is excellent software, but there are some things about it that cause us to part ways: the software is Russian and the company owning it, ABBYY deregistered itself in Russia shortly before the war on Ukraine began. So it is just a smokescreen, and you can find out more here: https://ain.capital/2022/08/11/russian-abbyy-still-works-in-ukraine/

A few days ago I uninstalled Finereader from my computer, releasing lots of space on the disk - it is truly a behemoth.

Today was actually the first time I did an OCR of a PDF in Tesseract in order to translate it. There was a small table that I needed to re-create manually, (Tesseract can't do tables out of the box), but that is an inconvenience I am willing to suffer in order not to use ABBYY software any more.

This article is a work in progress, to be continued....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog